Memories...old and new!...http://www.moendm.smugmug.com/

Tuesday, October 7, 2008...Southwest Trip

Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Gallup, New Mexico - 69 warm degrees and sunny
Miles from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Gallup, New Mexico...138 miles
Premium gas - $3.89 a gal...I averaged 26mpg today (speed limit in New Mexico is 75...I am driving 65 and trying to take pictures).
(click on picture to enlarge)

This morning we ate breakfast in Albuquerque and left for Gallup, New Mexico. This is a picture of our room at the Monterey (non smokers) Motel in Albuquerque...very clean room.


We had breakfast at the Albuquerque Bar and Grill...good food and a very busy place.


This was a sculpture/design before our exit on I-40.


As I had mentioned earlier, the overpasses have designs on and around them...this really was a sight to see. I wish I had more pictures...but, as I said, it is hard to take pictures and drive.


The landscape is beige (my favorite color) and flat. Once in awhile we see a steer grazing. The roads are not like up north...at least up north we have bugs hitting our windshield and dead deer along side the road every few miles. Here there is little to no roadkill and no bugs.


These black rocks are called lava rock..it is only in this area around Grants, New Mexico. Grants is about 60 miles west of Albuquerque.


Our exit to Gallup, New Mexico. Gallup is a very poor community. They did clean up Gallup a few years ago when they had the Route 66 celebration.

We arrived in Gallup around noon. Since we couldn't check in to our room we went shopping. Gallup is comprised of hotels, restaurants and, of course, First American Traders. A place where we shopped last year and bought pottery and jewelry.


I LOVED this store!!!!! And, they loved me!


Nuf said!

As you walk into First American Traders the sidewalk is made of bricks.


This is typical of Gallup.


Went to Cracker Barrel. Julie, Granny finally spent the gift card you gave her a year ago.


We are staying at the Hampton Inn in Gallup.


We will be leaving for Williams, Arizona on Wednesday and will be taking a train and tour bus through the Grand Canyon. Will then leave for Sedona and Cottonwood on Friday. I "assume" they have internet access. I am glad everyone is enjoying my blog!

Jennifer, give my Matthew and my Meggie a hug from Grandma Deb!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is too bad McCain has to pay for his own signs to be put up...unlike Obama supporters who put them up on their own! (Read the bottom of the McCain sign. Nice pictures!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your blog so much, Deb. What a fun trip. Surprised it is not warmer - it has been so hot the whole summer. Sounds like you have made some great purchases. Like seeing the McCain signs and the women who are supporting him. I am going to keep up with your blog on a daily basis now. You will never regret you have archived your trip in the fashion. Miss you. Corinne

Anonymous said...

I sure am enjoying your travel slide show. Sounds like you're having a wonderful time. Gas here: $3.25.